Student Living FAQ’s

Firstly select which properties you would like to view – we recommend a maximum of four at any one time, please allow approx 15 minutes per viewing.

If you wish all of your bills to be included, please select the properties showing All bills included (this normally includes gas/water/electric/internet) with your bills being included it gives you piece of mind so you only pay one price for your property and you don’t have numerous bills to sort out and pay for. You may be responsible for the Tv License,so please check.

Once you have selected which properties you would like to view either call our office or send an email to us with your details and we will contact you to book in your chosen property/ies.

When we have confirmed with you the dates and times of your viewings we can either take you there or meet you at the property.


How do I reserve a property and do I have to pay anything?
Once you have reserved your property we charge a £50 application/resigning fee per tenant- please note that once this fee has been paid it is non refundable. For properties not managed by ourselves there may be other fees payable  but these will be made clear in the property description. Most of our properties will require a deposit of £250 per person, again the amount will be made clear in the property description, the deposit is payable when you sign the contract , this will either be held by the Deposit Protection Service (DPS) if Lander Lettings manage the property or in one of the other government approved schemes if the property is not managed by ourselves. Your deposit will be refunded at the end of your tenancy subject to the following: that the rent has been paid in full, the property has been cleaned throughout and that there has been no damage.

Once you have selected which property you would like to live in, we would require you to fill in a tenant information form along with your nominated guarantor information

Your guarantor will be given a copy of the tenancy agreement prior to you signing a contract.


What is a guarantor?
A guarantor is someone who must be resident in the UK and be in employment or have sufficient assets, preferably a home owner and able to pay your rent should you not be able to do so.


What happens if I can’t get a guarantor?
In the event that you cannot get a guarantor we would ask for the rent to be paid in two instalments, this would need to be paid in July and January.  If you are resident at York House you will be required to pay the whole years rent up front.


Need a UK Rent Guarantor? Pay your rent ‘In Installments’
If you wish to secure a property with Lander Lettings and don’t want to pay a full years rent upfront, we ask that you provide a qualified UK Guarantor.

A Guarantor is someone who is over the age of 18 and will take financial responsibility for the tenancy and will be liable to pay the tenants rent if, for any reason, they are unable to pay an amount owed to the landlord.


How long is the contract for?

The contract is normally for 12 months and runs from 1st July – 30th June each year, you pay a retainer rent over July/August for non occupation. York House contracts run from 1st September – 2nd August.


When do I sign the contract?
You would be required to sign the contract within 7 days of reserving it, your guarantor will also need to send their paperwork back within this timescale. If the contract is not signed within this time we do reserve the right to remarket the property and your application fee would not be refunded.

Once you have signed the contract please be aware that this is a legal and binding document.


When and how do I pay my rent?
For tenants that can provide a UK guarantor rent is paid four times a year, July, November, February and May, for tenants without a UK guarantor you will be asked to pay your rent in two instalments July/January. When you sign the contract you will be given our bank details to make an on line transfer, or you can pay through our secure website for the payment of your rent,  if you are lucky enough to have your rent paid for you, please let us know when you reserve the property so that we can send the payment details to your parent/guardian. Please remember it is your responsibility to ensure the rent is paid on time, for each late payment you will be charged £25.


Understanding your Tenancy Agreement
Your tenancy agreement has been written in plain English and should be self-explanatory. If anything is unclear please ask us or seek independent legal advice before signing anything.Your tenancy agreement is an assured shorthold tenancy for a fixed term, normally 12 months. There is no provision for the early termination of the tenancy. This means that by signing the agreement you are undertaking to pay the rent for the full term and abide by the terms and conditions of the agreement.


What does the term joint and severally liable mean?
It means where there is more than one tenant signing the tenancy agreement all tenants are responsible for the payment of rent, so if one tenant does not pay the landlord could ask the other tenants to make up the shortfall as the debt of one tenant can be claimed from any other tenant, this is also true if there is any damage to the property and nobody admits to causing it, then all tenants would be held liable for the damage. Should payment not be forthcoming from the tenant, where tenants have a guarantor we would contact them in the first instance to chase payment. Unlike the tenants the guarantor is only liable for their nominated tenant.


What does indemnify mean?
To indemnify someone is to agree to compensate them for any particular loss specified.


What does to quietly possess and enjoy mean?
In this context to enjoy a property is to be able to use it as a residential property, and to do so quietly means that the landlord should not cause you interruption unnecessarily.


What happens if I can’t move in?
If you have signed the contract and then decided not to move in, you would be legally required to pay the rent for the whole of the tenancy term, however we will always try to help you find a replacement to minimise your loss by re-advertising your room , you can also advertise on sites like gumtree/accommodation for students etc, should a replacement be found, all other tenants will need to agree to this, once agreed a new tenancy agreement will be drawn up and once signed your liability to pay rent on the property will then cease. You will be charged a fee of £50 when you are released from the contract, this goes towards the cost of drawing up a new contract for your replacement tenant.


Can I drop my belongings off before going home for the summer?
Yes you can providing that you have arranged this in advance with ourselves and that your tenancy has commenced, you will need to clearly label your items so that if cleaners go into the property they know the items have not been left behind from a previous tenancy, the cleaners will not be able to move or clean where the items have been left. We cannot accept any responsibility for goods left in the property over the summer. We do offer a secure storage facility should you wish to go home before your tenancy commences, we can pick up from your old term time address, take it to our storage facility and arrange delivery to your new term time address, costs will depend on how many items are to be stored and for what duration, please ask for further details.


How do I collect my keys?
If the property is managed by ourselves you would collect them from our office – we are open Monday – Friday between 9am – 4pm for collection of keys , key collection is normally from 1st September onwards. We will require photographic identification which could be passport, driving licence or student uni card, IMPORTANT if you are getting someone to pick your keys up on your behalf we require an email from yourself to [email protected], please note we cannot release keys without prior authorisation.

If the property is not managed by ourselves you will need to arrange access through your landlord, details of which you would have been given when signing your tenancy agreement.


What do I need to bring with me to my new accommodation?
All student accommodation is furnished but you will need to bring items like bedding, pots/pans, kettles, toasters, cutlery, crockery, iron and ironing board. Some properties provide a microwave so please check with us before buying one.


As a student will I need to pay council tax?
As a full time student you are exempt from paying council tax, but you do have to prove your student status to the local council.

If you are a student at Leicester University your university will send off a list to the council normally four weeks after the first day of term or your actual registration date, which ever is the later. To be included on this list you need to have provided the University with your term time address including postcode, if you are unsure whether you are on the list please contact the Academic Registry Office at Leicester University.

If you are a student at De Montfort University, then you will be required to provide an exemption certificate which must have your term time address including postcode printed on it, these certificates can be collected from Student Gateway in Gateway House and must be sent to the local council, we can send them off for you if you bring them to the office.

Please be aware if you do nothing and get a summons for council tax you will be liable for any charges and court costs.


How do we set up our utility bills if they are not included with our rent?
When you move in, you will be given a list of telephone numbers for the relevant supplier to your property, for gas,water and electric, we would suggest that you register straight away to avoid a huge bill at the end of your tenancy. We would also recommend that the billing is put into all the tenants names and it might be beneficial to open a household bank account for the payment of your utilities. If you require a television licence you can buy online at

We may have informed the suppliers for gas/water and electric of your details prior to your moving in so please check with us.


What happens if something breaks down like the boiler?
When you move into your accommodation you will be given information on how to report a breakdown and the name of your designated property manager who will be your point of contact throughout your tenancy, it is important that you let us know as soon as possible of any defects so that we can deal with this as soon as we are informed. Some repairs may be subject to parts and materials which we may have no control over.